Sunday, January 9, 2011

WEEK ONE

Thoughts from Week One:
  • I really miss green salad.
  • I do not miss going to the grocery store.
  • In fact, I feel liberated.
  • I would love to never have to go to another store again.
  • Life is actually simpler this way.
  • More freezer space would be nice (we have only the fridge freezer)
  • I like having an excuse when my meals are not so yummy. (For surely, with the proper ingredients, this would taste better!;-)

WHAT WE RAN OUT OF THIS WEEK:

milk
Enter powdered milk goodness (or not so goodness). mmmm....
fresh fruit
Enter dried apples. These actually are yummy.
eggs.
I used the last few eggs wisely. I made brownies :-) and cut them into bite-sized pieces and froze them for the long weeks ahead. We do have egg powder for pancakes or other things.

BREAD!
Oh my-we've been baking and baking bread like crazy. It is a wonderful perk to have yummy homemade bread all the time. After all, if you don't have a lot of food around, you can always make bread and have something to eat.
We've made white bread, multi-grain bread, whole wheat bread, english muffin bread, and sweet cinnamon bread. I have enjoyed this. While I don't like cooking, I do like to bake.
Oh-and the calendar ran out. So, I figured I'd just draw some lines on a 12 x 12 piece of paper and glue it onto the "old" January. I will enjoy my scenic pictures of Italy all over again!
(I might do this every year.)
And last but not least: baby food.
This I am REAlly going to miss. Sure, I can make my own from our meals, but that always takes more forethought and time. And when you're already confined by fewer ingredients, it's even harder. Fortunately Jack is getting old enough for more textures than just pureed.
I have to say I am enjoying this challenge....so far.
And I am looking forward to eating that green salad again.
Until next week!....

1 comment:

  1. I missed this posting. I was wondering how it was going.

    So parts of me wants to try it for similar reasons. And parts of me wants to run to the store and drop some things on your porch.

    ReplyDelete